About the VOICES project
The VOICES project is funded in part by the European Commission under the 7th Framework Programme. The project started 1st January 2011 for a period of 30 months.
The consortium driving the project consists of 12 partner organizations.
The objectives of the VOICES project are to:
- Improve voice-based access to content and mobile ICT services through the development of a free and open source toolbox for local developers.
- Integrate local community radios and ICT to leverage the quality and the volume of radio content broadcast and sharing.
- Better support and integrate local languages in voice-based services through the development of appropriate speech elements (text-to-speech and Speech recognition) for underresourced language such as Wolof.
- Investigate self-sustainability of voice-based services through the identification and development of appropriate business models in collaboration with local communities.
- Enhance uptake of this new channel for ICT services through community building activities, development of specific capacity building initiatives and involvement of local ICT developers.